The Historic Sites Association of Newfoundland and Labrador (HSA) is proud to announce the 2018 shortlist for the Heritage and History Book Award.
- Gerhard P. Bassler, Escape Hatch, Newfoundlandâ€™s Quest for German Industry and Immigration, 1950-1970, Flanker Press, 2017.
- Stan Dragland, Gerald Squires, Pedlar Press, 2017.
- Anna Kearney GuignÃ©, The Forgotten Songs of Newfoundland Outports: As Taken from Kenneth Peacockâ€™s Newfoundland Field Collection, 1951-1961, Canadian Museum of History and University of Ottawa Press, 2016.
- Pam Hall, Towards an Encyclopedia of Local Knowledge: Excerpts from Chapters I and II, Breakwater, 2017.
- Jenny Higgins, Newfoundland in the First World War, Boulder Publications, 2016.
- Roger Pickavance, The Traditional Newfoundland Kitchen, Boulder Publications, 2017.
- Harvey B. Richer, Gold Coins of Newfoundland, 1865-1888, Boulder Publications, 2017.
- J. C. Roy, Terra Magna: Labrador, Breakwater, 2017.
The eight titles selected for the 2018 shortlist represent an eclectic exploration of Newfoundland and Labradorâ€™s history and heritage, with topics covering art, local knowledge, music, industry, war, food, and money.
The shortlist represents outstanding work of non-fiction, published in 2016 or 2017, that enriches the knowledge of the general public of the heritage and history of Newfoundland and Labrador. The winning title will be announced on March 7, 2018 at the ceremony for the HSAâ€™s Manning Awards for Excellence.